15 PhD positions for Early Stage Researchers as part of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network “DigitAlgaesation”
NOTICE: Candidates shortlisted for the interview have been informed. Interviews will be carried out in the next weeks. Candidates selected for the ESR positions will be informed by the end of May 2021.
The DigitAlgaesation project aims at training early-stage researchers to enable the automation and optimisation of microalgae cultivation processes for more cost-effective and environmentally-friendly enhanced productivity.
The European Training Network DigitAlgaesation
The European Training Network DigitAlgaesation is a consortium of European Universities and Companies comprising:
- University of Padova (Italy)
- CentraleSupelec (France)
- Imperial College London (United Kingdom)
- INRIA (France)
- Technical University of Denmark (Denmark)
- Technical University of Dresden (Germany)
- University of Almeria (Spain)
- “G. W. Leibniz” University of Hannover (Germany)
- Wageningen University (The Netherlands)
- MINT Engineering (Germany)
- Process Systems Enterprise – Siemens Digital Industry (United Kingdom)
- Proviron (Belgium)
- TMCI Padovan (Italy)
Open ESR positions
The open ESR positions are as follows:
- ESR 1: Assessment of light dynamics on growth performance and definition of model-based protocol for algae selection and genetic manipulation
- ESR 2: Experimental and numerical investigation of culture systems involving complementary species for N2 fixation and extended solar radiation absorption
- ESR 3: Development and experimental assessment of a modelling approach for nutrient-light interactions description and optimisation
- ESR 4: Development and analysis of a digital twin for monitoring, control and optimisation applications in microalgae: the Microalgae Growth Model (MGM)
- ESR 5: Advanced techniques for model-based experiment design under uncertainty
- ESR 6: Development of a continuous microphotobioreactor for rapid model identification
- ESR 7: Microalgal population dynamics related to changes of environmental conditions
- ESR 8: Development of an online monitoring system of culture fitness and stress-induced intracellular metabolite accumulation in microalgae
- ESR 9: Sensor technology fusion for on-line monitoring and control
- ESR 10: Data mining approaches for monitoring and decision support of PBR processes
- ESR 11: Development of a deep-learning platform for process monitoring and optimisation
- ESR 12: Microalgae high rate production by optimising biofilm-based system
- ESR 13: Modelling and control of the photoacclimation response in an industrial environment
- ESR 14: Modelling and control of microalgae bacteria consortia for wastewater treatment
- ESR 15: Robust control of microalgae processes accounting for future meteorology
More details concerning the project description and required skills can be found here.
Applicants may indicate up to 3 ESR Projects which they would like to work on, ranking them in order to preference.
- Fulfillment of eligibility criteria dictated by the European Commission under the H2020 Marie Curie Innovative Training Network Programme: The candidate must not have resided or carried out their main activity in the country of his/her host organization for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior of the start of employment in this position.
- Applicable degree: i.e. Master’s degree or equivalent related to the scope of the position awarded before first day of employment
- Candidate must be in the first four years of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree -- In other words, candidate should have obtained a degree (i.e. Master’s or equivalent) which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate within the last 4 years
DigitAlgaesation ESRs will benefit from:
- Outstanding training aimed at fostering scientiﬁc, technical and transferable skills
- Secondments designed to exploit the complementarities between projects, sectors and expertise
- Scientiﬁc advice from internationally recognized experts
- A solid mentoring strategy and followed up through a personalized career development plan.
Documents to be submitted
The following documents need to be submitted in a single zipped file:
- Application form [click here to download]
- Motivation form [click here to download]
- Current CV (please use the Europass template)
- Certified copies of relevant university degree certificates and related detailed transcripts of records (in case the degree has not been obtained yet, the application is possible, but the certificate must be made available by 30th September 2021).
When all documentation is ready, please send the zip file in attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants shortlisted for TC interviews will be notified by 30.04.2021
All applicants will receive notifications about the results of the DigitAlgaesation selection procedure by 30.05.2021
Individual projects will start between 01.09.2021 and 01.11.2021.